Learn to Let Your Eyes Relax
DES can happen to anyone, but it’s often particularly hard on those with vision problems. Pack & Bianes Optometry Eastlake can provide you with tools and strategies to mitigate DES and let you use screens safely again.
Contributing Factors to Digital Eye Strain
Staring Without Blinking
Blue light is high-energy visible light present in the sun’s rays and is emitted from most screens. It hasn’t been definitively linked to eye disease, but it may affect your circadian rhythm, impacting your ability to sleep. If you often use screens before bedtime and have tired eyes the next day, this could be part of the reason.
Digital Eye Strain Reduction
Common approaches to reducing DES include:
- Using the 20-20-20 rule, which was designed to help the eyes rest during long periods of screen time. Focus your eyes on an object 20 feet away for 20 seconds every 20 minutes. Doing so gives the muscles that focus your eyes a chance to rest—like taking breaks between sets at the gym.
- Wearing glasses that block blue light from entering your eyes may support restful sleep for people who typically use screens before bed.
For personalized suggestions on fighting digital eye strain, it’s always best to talk directly with your eye care team. Please contact us today to schedule your next appointment.
Check Us Out in Chula Vista
Hours of Operation
- Monday: 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- Tuesday: 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- Wednesday: 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- Thursday: 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- Friday: 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- Saturday: 8:30 AM – 2:00 PM
- Sunday: Closed